Introduction to Root Connect FRS


                                           Family is not an important thing, it’s everything
                                                                  ~Michael J. Fox


My love affair with genetics began in High School in Mrs. Miller’s freshman Biology Class. Mrs. Miller was known to be a stickler and many were known to fail her class regularly.  I found her fascinating and my desire for perfection resulted in passing her class with flying colors and an A! It was there, in the third desk back that I learned the basics of DNA and and genetics, and thus my love-affair began. Fast-forward to a several years ago and that small love affair multiplied into fascination as a family member with an unknown father of sixty years took a DNA test, at my insistence, so that I could begin the search for his paternal family.  Once his results were back, I was in for a shock as I realized just how intricate and delicate the art of working with Genetics is. There was so much to learn and I was in a race against time and determined to find his biological father.  Thankfully, many in the field of genealogy, DNA, and genetics were there to lend a helping hand and due, in part, to cutting-edge DNA technology, databases, websites, and people’s own desire to know their roots and where they come from, I navigated the unknown waters fairly quickly. What I realized in those early days was that my family member with an unknown father wasn’t the only one in that situation.  There are thousands of people searching for long-lost family members daily. Thousands! There are websites, databases, family genealogy projects, message boards, and Facebook groups all dedicated to this sole purpose, connecting people with their long-lost family.  Coming from a tight-knight family this revelation was astounding.  How can an individual not know where and from whom they come from? Still, to this day, it amazes me. Regardless of the secrecy and the reasoning behind this, lies an individual with a true desire to know who they are and where they come from. Doesn’t this seem like a basic human right?

I was able to track down my family member’s paternal family through DNA matches and historical archives.  The story didn’t end well, as many families are deep-rooted and tight-lipped and they aren’t always welcoming of the idea of an “unknown” child fathered or birthed by one in the family.  Although discouraging, to say the least, I have since helped many individuals track down their loved ones and when it does end well, it is a beautiful thing to witness. Realizing just how many are out there in the world needing answers has only fueled my passion for helping others in their searches. After helping so many, spending hundreds of hours on the phone, emailing, and building trees and wading through DNA matches, I decided that the time has come for me to switch over to do what I love, and that is to help with these connections.  

The creation of Root Connect Family Reunification Service has been a labor of love. With limited time, resources, the cost of maintaining websites, and memberships, multiplied with case load demand, the need for something “bigger” was born.  I have struggled with the idea of contracts, fees, and the demographics of how I would begin this business and have come to the realization that not everyone is in the same financial situation.  Having helped many individuals from all walks of life, from all different socioeconomic areas, I have decided, at this time, that Root Connect will be fueled by donation only.  At this time, there will not be set fees, contracts, or an hourly fee for services. Interested individuals simply donate what they can afford. The demand for services is increasing and the business is currently growing which is encouraging! I plan to continue to update on stories, with permission of course, and give insights, tips, and important information here in the Root Connect blog.  I hope that you follow along with me on this journey and glean some insight into how to help others in this manner, as there is nothing out there like a happy ending. 

If you, or anyone you know is in need of Root Connect’s Services you may reach out via email at rootconnectFRS@gmail.com.  Remember to follow this blog or our Root Connect Facebook Page for updates!

Be Blessed,
Rachel

Comments